Around 7 months pregnant I had such sore hips that sleeping was really uncomfortable. I tried everything, sleeping on two mattresses (didn’t work), sleeping with a pillow under one hip (didn’t work), in fact the only thing that seemed to make any difference was doing this variation of cat pose.
practice pregnancy yoga from 16 weeks onwards
Recently the same achey hip feeling is back with a vengeance so I’m back doing the cat variation!
If you’re suffering from sore hips, please give this a go as it really makes a big difference for me:
- Dig out your yoga mat or if you don’t have one, a towel or blanket and put it on the floor
- Position yourself so you’re on all fours with your hips under your knees and wrists under your shoulders
- Only moving your hips, start to slowly make small circular movement in a clockwise direction
- With each cycle gradually make the circle bigger
- Once you’ve got to the biggest circle you can make, start to decrease the size of the circles until you’re back to the smallest circle you can make
- Repeat steps 3 to 5, this time working in an anti-clockwise direction.
This position is safe in pregnancy but please remember the British Wheel of Yoga recommend you practice pregnancy yoga from 16 weeks onwards.